Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Gearing up

Welcome to my travel blog.  This space will document my first trip across the Atlantic, complete with photographs, funny stories, and (mostly) boring details.  I've wanted to go to Europe for years and have finally (and not without some help) made it happen.

Here's a breakdown:

Stated objective: conduct research for dissertation on the BBC Big Screens program (primarily July 16-25)

Motivation for going: vacation, cultural exchange, personal enrichment, blah blah...[insert Eat Pray Love nonsense here], obsession with British television, love of pubs, irritation at constantly being asked "how are you an art historian who hasn't been to Europe?!?!"

Cultural exchange wish list: explain baseball to non-Americans, play pick-up cricket, sing a country song at a karaoke bar (I only know three), see a live rugby/cricket/hurling/football match

Modes of transportation: plane (NY-London, Dublin-NY), train (BritRail-England 8-day pass and Eurostar London and Paris), automobile (taxi to JFK), bus (to outskirts and tourist sites), boat (Holyhead-Dublin)

Accouterments: limited to what fits inside a carry-on suitcase, backpack, and small purse

Itinerary:

July 10-14: London, England
July 14-15: Bath, England
July 15-16: Salisbury, England
July 16-19: Plymouth, England
July 19-22: Bradford/Leeds, England
July 22-25: Birmingham, England
July 25-26: Stratford-Upon-Avon, England
July 26-30: Paris, France
July 30-August 1: ?????
August 1-2: Holyhead, Wales
August 2-5: Dublin, Ireland

Most of the accommodations are bed-and-breakfasts, though there are a few private rooms in hostels, one chain hotel, and one graciously-offered spare room.  Almost everything's set, except I am still debating what to do for two days on the itinerary.  I'm leaning towards either Liverpool or something nature-oriented...or I might just wing it.



Tonight I'm going to re-pack my suitcase, as it is an exercise in Tetris-style maneuvering I need to master, clean up my apartment, download some movies and audiobooks, and finally answer the question I've been debating all week: do I stay up all night or set 900 alarms to wake up in time to catch a 4:45am car to JFK?




No comments:

Post a Comment